Whether you’re thinking of buying a home soon or months down the road, you’ll need a carefully considered wish list when the time comes to start your search.
Identifying your needs and wants will help you narrow your options and make your home buying journey — which we all know can be stressful — as smooth and efficient as possible.
Are you ready to put together your dream home wish list? Here’s what to consider:
- Think about what you like (and don’t like) about your current home. Be sure to consider size, number of bedrooms, layout and individual features and amenities.
- Consider the location. What’s important for your future neighborhood? Good schools? Proximity to work, parks or the airport? You might even name a few communities you already know you like, but be sure to keep an open mind (you might find a gem where you least expect it).
- Separate the must-haves from the nice-to-haves. Must-haves are features you can’t live without — maybe things like a garage, three bedrooms or a fenced yard. Nice-to-haves could be details like a walk-in closet, stainless steel appliances or a finished attic.
- Zero in on your budget. You need to know what you can afford monthly (for your mortgage and for bills and maintenance costs), as well as what you can put toward a down payment and closing costs.
- Consult your family. If you’re going to share the house with your spouse, kids or other family members, sit down and talk through these points together. Everyone should be on the same page before making such a large investment.
Perfecting your wish list before you need it can help your eventual home purchase go more quickly and easily.
Need some help creating your list or finding properties that match what you’re looking for? Get in touch today!